Green Rice/ Coriander rice



Green Rice/ Coriander rice
Green Rice with Aloo Gobi
Green Rice

Rice cooked with a blend of fresh green ingredients like coriander. Serve with your choice of curry, lentils or vegetable dish.

Green Rice/ Coriander Rice
Green Rice
I am obsessed with coriander; if you read my posts I add coriander to everything. But the urge of adding coriander to every dish does not stop at garnishing. It tastes way better cooked than garnished. And so I am posting one of my favorite recipes and my mom’s signature rice dish ‘Green Rice’.
I promise you will love it!

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 Cup Basmati Rice
1 small bunch coriander
1 tomato
1 green chilly
2 cloves garlic
A tiny piece of Ginger
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp. coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp. oil
Water


Method:
     1.  Rinse rice and keep aside.
     2.  Blend coriander, ginger, garlic, chilly, tomato, to a fine paste( add  2 tbsp. of water if needed).
Blend above ingredients

Green paste masala

      3. In a pot, heat about 2 tbsp. of oil, add  green paste  masala cover and cook for 5 min (allow all the water to evaporate) , then sauté  every  min to cook the masala.
Saute masala

       4. Once cooked, add cumin seeds, coriander powder, drained rice, salt to taste and sauté.

Add rice and spices
       5.   Add 1 and a ½ cup water, stir. Cover and bring to a boil, once water evaporates, cover and simmer for 8 min or until cooked.
       6.  Fluff the rice with a fork, and serve!
 I am serving mine with aloo Gobi but its tastes great on its own or even better with amti/daal.
Green Rice with Aloo Gobi



Notes:
     1.The key to making it is sautéing the masala really well.
     2. I use a coffee mug to measure my rice and the quantity may vary.
     3.For every mug of rice I use 1 and a half cup water as I am looking for well separated rice ( moisture from coriander and the added oil also helps, so a little less water than usual).





Comments